Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Technology Integration: What I've Learned...

This blog post is a reflective post; A reflection on my experience in my Teaching through technology course. I have learned a great deal in this course. First and foremost, I have learned about all of the web-based tools and materials available for me, to help better integrate technology into my classroom. I have learned how to research and use that research to drive my instruction. Another thing that I learned about (what I believe the course was built around), was how to properly construct a Website. While learning how to build my website, I have learned about all the tools I can use to strengthen the school-home connection, tools to help better engage the students in the classroom and tools to build stronger more prepared 21st century students.

One of the many things I took away from this course (which may sound silly) is I had no idea that there were actual technology standards out there. I plan on using these in all my lessons in the future. Especially, with my school beginning our new chapter next year, evolving into a STEAM themed school, technology will be a STRONG focus in all aspects of our day.
I have always enjoyed technology. I have always found it very important to integrate into my school day. It started in my generation and I was always exposed to it in school. I don’t think that my thinking has changed at all in this course; I feel that this course has only helped strengthen my thoughts and theories on technology integration.

One resource that I enjoyed learning about was the Wordle and everyone’s ideas on how to integrate them into the classroom was amazing. I plan on using them next year as a beginning of the year activity for my kids. I am going to have them tell me everything about them, qualities, adjectives, talents, favorite things (color, food, subject, etc.), then I am going to create a Wordle using those words. Their Wordle will end up taking the shape of their silhouette. This is just one way I have taken something I have learned from this course and transformed it in a way to help make it work in my classroom.  I remember a specific discussion in this course around “Online Lesson Planning”, I felt that this was a very good discussion because that is what schools are shifting towards. I had stated, “…you don't have to stop learning about this topic in the classroom. You can go home and show your family, teach them and continue to learn yourself in the comforts of your own home!I was talking specifically about the WebQuest, but this can be applied to any technology based tool you use in your classroom. Whether it be with a blog, Edmodo, another Web 2.0 tool (scootpad, Khan Academy, xtramath, etc.).


Overall, my experience in this course was a very positive one. I have learned a lot, not only from the actual course, but also through my peers. I was always engaged and ultimately this is exactly what I expect my students will be like as I integrate technology more and more into my teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment